what I’m reading and watching to help keep myself steady and still moving forward through these times
February 05, 2021 | Posted by Heather Dominick
OH. MY. GOSH. As if 2020 didn’t deliver enough, 2021 came in with a bang and brought me closer to the edge of my Highly Sensitive Coping Mechanism of Pushing than I’ve been in a very, VERY long time.
I’m happy to say that I didn’t go over that edge and, along with the Business Miracles Community of Highly Sensitive Entrepreneurs and Leaders, we continue to lean on each other and the work to excel through these times.
Soooo … here’s a bit of what I’ve been reading, watching, listening to (and tools I’m using, too) to help keep myself steady and still moving forward through these times without totally losing it. Here’s where I’m at this month…
Here’s what I JUST realized this past month; I can’t just read books the way I could pre-pandemic. Which is sad because I love novel escapism, but right now it doesn’t bring me the pleasure it once did. I need shorter bursts like articles, short stories, movies or videos. I know it won’t be forever, but this is where I need to be right now. Here are a few that have really impacted me:
1. My Body, Myself: An Unexpected Journey Out of Grief by Jessica Granger (October Vogue – yes, I am also behind in subscriptions) – This is perhaps one of the best pieces I’ve ever read on grief. And I’ve read A LOT. Being that we are all experiencing collective trauma and loss right now in some shape or form, I highly recommend this beautiful read.
2. Embrace These Four Lessons From Martin Luther King Jr. by Sonia Thompson (Inc. Magazine) – What struck me most about this article is not so much the recommendations (although valuable), but the reminder of how young he was when he did what he did. Now, more than ever, we are reminded that we do not have the time to wait before we act or before we lead. There is no someday or arrival point that will suddenly deem you worthy. The time is now. In all of its glorious imperfection.
Full Disclosure (or as I share in my teachings, V&V Energy): most items listed here are period dramas and I fully recognize and own the desire to escape from the current time we are living in, even if just for 52 minutes.
1. Bridgerton (Netflix) – Creative, risqué, steamy, challenging, pure escapism.
2. Belgravia (Epix) – I am such a fan of actress Tamsin Greig, so I was won over before it even started: engaging, above and beyond well-acted, beautiful, pure escapism.
3. Bonfire of Destiny: Le Bazar de la Charité (Netflix) – French, gorgeous, drama, women, pure escapism.
4. Soul (Disney+) – This is a throwback to December and NOT a period drama, but what I declare as one of the best Pixar productions by far. My Sweetheart Husband and I watched it during end of year holiday time and it was just perfect. It’s groundbreaking, forward thinking, touching, creative, heart-warming, inspiring and hopeful.
1. Unlocking Us Podcast, Brene Brown with Gabby Rivera on Superheroes, Storytelling, and Joy as Resistance (Spotify) – I loved this particular episode because, first of all, I am not a superhero kind of gal, so I don’t know if I would have known of author, artist and activist Gabby Rivera otherwise. I’m pretty sure she is highly sensitive, and she is also one, gosh-darn-inspiring and resilient woman. If you’re starting to slip into any sense of “I don’t know how much longer I can do this” (and aren’t we all these days?), take a listen; be inspired; and get your soul shored up for at least the next month or so by her story.
1. Business Miracles Podcast / HSE Features (iTunes and other places) – I don’t really like listening to myself per se, but recently I’ve been on a kick of re-listening to the episodes when I interview Highly Sensitive Entrepreneur members of the Business Miracles Community. The love I have for the members I am honored to serve runs so, so deep. Every day I am inspired by these Highly Sensitive Leaders who show up over and over in their commitment to doing the “real work” of true transformation (and re-commitment, when needed). I am inspired and bow to them every day in awe in gratitude. Take a listen. I sense you’ll feel the same.
Hope you find something useful (or just plain fun) in these recommendations to support yourself with keeping it all moving forward during these Exceptional Times as a Highly Sensitive Entrepreneur and Leader.
I’d love to hear what you’re reading, watching and listening to as well, as I’m always open to being introduced to something new and will happily give you credit if it’s something I end up latching onto. Just hit “reply” and let me know. 🙂
We will continue to transcend these times – together.