July 02, 2020 | Posted by Heather Dominick
I’ve been asked a lot during these Exceptional Times of 2020 how I’m staying sane, remaining grounded, continuing to lead my community of fellow Highly Sensitive Leaders from around the world with grace and overall just keeping my sh*t together as I face some major personal life changes as result of these times as well.
Soooo … I thought it would be fun to share on the first Friday of each month what I’m reading, watching, listening to (and tools I’m using, too) to keep myself moving forward through these times. Here we go!
1. The Help, by Kathryn Stocket – This is a third time re-read for me, but one of my favorite books next to my all-time favorite, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. A pleasure read that is also a reminder why the 2020 Racial Justice Movement is beyond needed now and into the future.
2. ‘My body is a confederate monument’, by Caroline Randall Williams – Speaking of the 2020 Racial Justice Movement, this is one of the most powerful essays I’ve read in a long time. So far, I’ve already read it through twice.
3. Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age, by Sanjay Gupta – I believe I’m a little late to the game on the magnificence of this author, but I promptly developed a super crush when I started reading this book at the beginning of 2020. I fell off the wagon from this read during the first months of the pandemic, but I’m back at it and as fascinated as ever.
1. Red Oaks (Amazon Prime) – I often rely on my friend, Shira, for the best “TV” shows to be watching because she knows me so well and her recommendations always hit the mark. This show being a great example. 1980’s nostalgia. Brilliant acting. Enough said.
2. DARK (Netflix) – Because of my Sweetheart Husband I watch more sci-fi than I ever would without him (which would be none). I can’t get into everything sci-fi, but when the show is super smart and from Germany (I’m a lover of European television and even more so considering who knows when I’ll be able to travel there again), I’m in. And this show is such a psychological mindbender it’s valuable for the brain exercise alone. Season 3 just landed.
3. BlackAF (Netflix) – I’ve been a fan of Rashida Jones since her days on the television show, Parks and Recreation, and her continued talented performance is stunning along with the rest of this exceptional cast. Plus, another enlightening Racial Justice Movement perspective during these Exceptional Times.
1. Armchair Expert (Podcast) with Dax Shepard and Monica Padman – One of my former students from my Long Island high school teaching days (who is now a successful, professional comedian) turned me onto this podcast last year. It’s smart, witty and goes way beyond hosting Hollywood guests. They’ve also done a masterful job with keeping their current guests matched to our fast-changing times.
2. Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction (Podcast) – If there wasn’t enough of a reason already to love Sanjay Gupta, here it is. A voice of reason to cut through the lack of presidential leadership on everything COVID-19.
1. Applying the 50 Miracle Principles of A Course In Miracles to accelerate Highly Sensitive Leadership through these Exceptional Times – through the first weeks of the 2020 Global Pandemic I showed up live Monday through Friday to lead 10 Minutes of Daily Activation to globally support Highly Sensitive Leaders in navigating the confusion that was suddenly upon all of us.
Once I completed those calls on May 18th, I promptly received the guidance to begin hosting Weekly Activations starting June 1st and so I did exactly that.
Leading these 30 minute calls each week has deepened my study of the psychological and spiritual curriculum of A Course In Miracles more than I could have anticipated. It’s been a balm to my soul during these Exceptional Times and this is the feedback I’ve received from participants as well. I invite you to join us. It’s free and you can join at any time as you will never be behind.
Hope you find something useful (or just plain fun) in these recommendations to support yourself with keeping it all moving forward during these Exceptional Times as a Highly Sensitive Leader. I’d love to hear what you’re reading, watching and listening to as well; I’m always open to being introduced to something new and will happily give you credit if it’s something I end up latching onto. Just comment below and let me know. 🙂
We will continue to transcend these times – together.