Welcome to episode 89 of A Course In Business Miracles! As HSEs, we have lived much of our life not knowing why we can’t interact with the world in a way that feels healthy or good to us. Many times, we feel that we have been hurt by others, that our goals and dreams were ruined by other people. And what follows this is a flood of shame and guilt, coming from our superego trying to protect us. But really, this is overkill, an overprotection.
One sign of being in your Highly Sensitive Shadows is when you criticize and judge yourself or others in your head–and then believe it. Find out the role that shame plays when this happens, and how it most likely has been playing out in your life and what to do differently.
I’ve been asked a lot during these Exceptional Times of 2020 how I’m staying sane, remaining grounded, continuing to lead my community of fellow Highly Sensitive Leaders from around the world with grace and overall just keeping my sh*t together as I face some major personal life changes as a result of these times as well.
Soooo … I thought it would be fun to share on the first Friday of each month what I’m reading, watching, listening to (and tools I’m using, too) to keep myself moving forward through these times. Here’s where I’m at this month…
1. The Wall Of Moms Protest– I’m pretty obsessed with these incredible moms in Portland, Or. I’ve read about them, watched them on YouTube and listened to interviews. They are inspiring and a symbol of the positive change we all have the opportunity to create through and beyond these Exceptional Times.
2.Incidents In The Life of A Slave Girl, by Harriot Jacobs – I’m a lover of history when it’s told from the human story perspective (shouldn’t it all be?) and this read is so telling of how far we have NOT come, but with some determination and shift in perspective thinking where we truly have the opportunity to go forward into the 2020s and beyond.
1. President Obama’s Eulogy for John Lewis (CNN) – A deep demonstration of respect and true leadership. If you haven’t watched the full eulogy it is worth the 40 minutes. A valuable reminder for all of us.
2. Money Heist (Netflix) – My Sweetheart Husband, Stephen, and I don’t always have the same taste in what we want to watch, but we are both loving this super fun Spanish drama (with just the right amount of a telenovela touch that I’m loving while also not turning Stephen off :)) It’s a great escape from the massive amount of change we’ve been managing together over the last few months.
3.That’s Ridiculous! (NY Times) – A great video showing the honest reactions of young internationals in response to how the United States has chosen to handle the Coronavirus pandemic. “The video is fun yet disheartening, especially to any proud American. When ordinary citizens from other advanced economies are aghast upon learning about our reality, it makes us realize that what we accept as normal is actually far from it.”
Always valuable to get an outside perspective (and I just also happen to also agree with them).
1. Tara Brach (Podcast) – I loved my training time with Tara Brach and always find her work a nourishing resource. If you are needing a way to calm and calibrate your highly sensitive nervous system, Tara’s voice always does the trick for me (as well as the focus of her great body of work).
2. Daily Activation (Product) – www.dailyactivations.com – I, honestly, don’t typically like to listen to or watch my own teachings, but I was recently reflecting on how far we’ve traveled collectively in such a short time since March 2020 and so I went back to listen to one of the 40 Days of Daily Activations I began leading right when the global pandemic first hit and, if I do say so myself, I was massively moved and impressed! And now have committed to building them into my own daily practice and am finding them incredibly supportive to stay steady and strongas we continue this bewildering journey of 2020 that’s not going to change anytime soon. I invite you to join me. You can get your own copy here.
1. Order Form to The Universe– This has been my go-to energy management tool over this last month. I’ve used it every day to keep myself focused, grounded and somewhat sane as I’ve navigated moving to TWO new homes (which never would have been my personal choice) to support my Sweetheart Husband and I being able to provide for both our personal safety and our professional needs through this global pandemic. If you are faced with any level of confusion (and truly who isn’t these days) this free tool is extremely supportive. My gift to you.
Hope you find something useful (or just plain fun) in these recommendations to support yourself with keeping it all moving forward during these Exceptional Times as a Highly Sensitive Leader.
I’d love to hear what you’re reading, watching and listening to as well; I’m always open to being introduced to something new and will happily give you credit if it’s something I end up latching onto. Just comment below and let me know. 🙂
We will continue to transcend these times – together.
A few nights ago I dreamt I was at a party (like the ones from my 20s in some loft of someone I don’t know in SoHo) and then woke up thinking, “I may never go to a party again.” This year of 2020 is a mind-bender. Though I don’t desire the SoHo parties of my 20s it boggles my mind that this choice is off the table – for now anyway.
And whether we like it or want to admit it, this is part of both the challenge and the opportunity of these Exceptional Times for the Highly sensitive person business owner. Our choices have changed.
What worked in business and life 6 months ago will not work going forward. Not in the same way at least, but as Highly Sensitive Leaders we have one key strength that will help us lead ourselves and others through these times: Deep Listening.
With so much unknown, so many new decisions to be made, and levels upon levels of anxiety being experienced by so many people, the ability to Deeply Listen as a highly sensitive is more important than ever.
This Highly Sensitive Strength goes way beyond everyday listening. It’s a strength that’s natural to us as sensitive leaders because we use more than our ears; we use our complimentary sensitive strengths of intuition and being able to read subtleties.
This strength is available to support us in being of service to others, but also just as much in service to ourselves.
As a result of these Exceptional Times everything is up for reconsideration. Pre-COVID there were so many expectancies and pre-judgements. If you graduated from a certain school it meant this; if you were of this color race it meant that; if you followed this marketing formula you’d get that result …
Now? Not so much.
All of those “guarantees” won’t work as we go forward.
What will work is Deep Listening. For years now I’ve been teaching a proprietary process of “intuitive planning” for the Highly Sensitive Leaders I mentor that is all about listening to the guidance of your heart and creating a 6-month plan from this space. It’s an intuitive process, but it’s also scientific. Our hearts are a collection of nerves about the size of a cat’s brain, and the heart sends more signals to the brain than the brain does to the heart.
Deep Listening is about connecting to your heart. As you listen to anything whether it be something someone is saying to you or the thoughts in your own head, you can check in with your heart.Truth will feel like a calm opening in your chest with perhaps a spark of curiosity to want to hear and understand more. A lie will feel internally chaotic and your chest will restrict and try to close off.
This process I teach has created incredible results for highly sensitives around the globe: marriages have been healed, babies have been born, businesses have flourished, income has tripled and so much more.
So, though what worked pre-COVID won’t necessarily work anymore, there’s a greater opportunity available to us – to listen deeply, respond to the guidance we hear and dare to create anew as we go forward.
This is the way to lead as we continue through these Exceptional Times. Your business, life and all of the lives you touch will be better for it.
In Faith, XO. Heather
P.S. A way to hone your highly sensitive strength of Deep Listening is to center and activate your energy daily. I recommend this resource to support: www.DailyActivations.com
It’s time for another HSE Feature here on the Business Miracles podcast! We have with us today HSE Therapist and Transformational Coach, Nova Beltran, who has completely transformed from quiet and shy to strong and powerful in her business. Listen in to hear how she went from struggling in her business to using her uniqueness, experiences, and gifts to transition into coaching services while also sustaining her therapy practice at a high level all in a way that has allowed her to feel financially secure, and continue to thrive financially through these exceptional times.
I don’t know about you, but I already feel as if I’ve lived at least 5 years in the first 6 months of this most bewildering year of 2020. Now, as we move into the second half of this bizarre and perplexing year as Highly Sensitive Person Leaders it can be easy to feel as if we are drowning in the overwhelm of uncertainty and that our best choice is to just run and hide from it all.
Which, believe me, I get this temptation of denial as so much continues to change on a near-daily basis. It can be very tempting to just sit back, disconnect, and ask, “What pandemic? What racial justice movement? What time are re-runs of The Golden Girls on?”
YET – for those of us who know in our hearts that we are meant to step up with our highly sensitive gifts and lead to create betterment through these Exceptional Times it’s important to face an utmost highly sensitive truth:
Often what we think or believe will overwhelm us actually won’t at all.
When we can accept this truth, we can then begin to let go of the highly sensitive Shadow of Over-protection and we can also let go of trying to either run and hide or push to constantly be in control.
From here, we are then available to a new perspective and a new experience (a Business Miracle!).
You will want to begin this process by asking yourself these key questions:
1. What am I trying to protect myself from?
2. What do I think it is that’s going to overwhelm my nervous system?
3. How are these times meant to influence “positive-unexpected” change?
4. How am I meant to use my highly sensitive strengths to activate this change?
5. What am I being called to create for the better as a result of this global disruption?
From this inquiry you will then be able to identify that what you think or believe will overwhelm your nervous system is based only on past experience and the past is OVER. We only have the now and the possibility for a truly new future.
The willingness to inquire more deeply into what’s driving your beliefs about your highly sensitive overwhelm will create an opening for you that you can then step through to more powerfully lead for yourself, your profession, your business, your vision.
And this ability is what will buoy you as a highly sensitive through and beyond these Exceptional Times as Highly Sensitive Person Leaders.
Or you can remain in fear of being overwhelmed.
But I sense (since you’re reading these words right now) that is not what you will choose. 🙂
Last week I led my first ever virtual Training Retreat with coaching for highly sensitive people from around the globe. It turned out to be so much more powerful than I ever could have intellectually anticipated and the reverberations are still being felt for members who attended.
One piece of feedback I keep hearing (along with that this was the best Training Retreat EVER – which says a lot since I’ve led close to 100 retreats during my 18 years of being self-employed) is how CONNECTED every member felt and how reassuring it was to know they were not alone in their experience of what is being asked of each of us as we rise to meet the challenges of these Exceptional Times.
So, I want to extend this knowing to you and invite you to enter into the energy that we activated as a Community of Highly Sensitive Leaders on the very first day.
You can choose to watch the included video, read along with the below transcript or simply close your eyes and allow the power of the collective energy to support you in answering the call of these times that you are meant to answer.
We will RISE UP to transcend these times – together.
In Faith, XO. Heather
Let’s take a moment and activate the energy of this training retreat, yes? Yes. Allow yourself to just come to a comfortable position. Take a moment to put down anything that might be in your hands. Pen, pencil, that beautiful Business Miracles printable journal, keyboards, mouse, Buddhas, anything else that you might have in your hands. Allow your hands to rest comfortably in your lap. Take a moment to roll your shoulders up to your ears and down your back, and then together, let’s close our eyes. Together, let’s take in a breath and let’s let it out. Together again, breath in, and let it out. One more time, power of three, breath in. Let it out. Allow your eyes to remain closed. Take a moment to roll your shoulders up to your ears and down your back one more time, really feeling that spine come into alignment.
Now, imagine a string just gently tugging on the center-top of your head. See if you can allow your spine to expand just a little bit more. Stretching up to the heavens, reaching, opening that channel for the divine. Together again: breath in, and let it out. Now take a moment and place your left hand on your heart and your right hand on your core center of self, that abdomen area. Take moment to really plant your feet firmly on the ground beneath you, maybe even wiggling your toes, rocking your heels and balls of your feet back and forward, side to side, until you can allow them to come to a comfortable, grounded, centered position. Feet grounded, hand on core, heart, spine aligned. Breath steady, strong. Eyes closed. Top of head, reaching for the heavens. Breath in and breath out. We come together here as a collective community of highly sensitive entrepreneurs and leaders. We are connecting in together from literally around the globe. For some of us, it’s early in the morning. For some of us, it’s late in the evening. For some of us, it’s tomorrow. Everything in between.
Physically, in this moment, we are distant. Energetically, we are so connected. We take this moment to activate that energy like a web of light pinging and stretching around the globe. Creating this incredible network, not only those of us who are highly sensitive, but those of us who have been called to lead from our sensitive nature. In whatever way that’s meant to look for each and every one of us, whether that’s simply about how we go through each hour of each day, how we show up with our family and friends. How we show up within our professions, and our businesses. How we show up within the world, we are called to go beyond coping as a highly sensitive. We are called to tap deeply into the strengths that we hold uniquely because of the coding of our nervous system, to utilize those strengths, to bring something different to the world rather than try to hide away because of that difference.
Wherever you happen to be, physically, in the world right now, know that through this activation and through this amazing technological ability to connect over these next days together, we are weaving a strong, energetic web. Through the weaving of this energetic web, the vibration of the Earth literally will be changed. It doesn’t matter where we physically are, nothing will hold us back, hold us down, hold us in a place that’s about being small or victimized. Instead, through our connection over these days and over the weeks and months that will come as a result of our time together in this virtual training retreat, we will be buoyed. We will be empowered. We will rise up, collectively. As a result, our time here, in this moment, of this global pandemic, and our time here in each of the lives that we are so graced, and so blessed to live, our time here will have mattered. Breath in, and let it out.
Take a moment to bow your head. Allow your hands to gently float back down to your lap. Your eyes to slowly, and gently, come back on open.
Growing in a world made by and for the 80%, HSEs can develop coping mechanisms that hurt. These coping mechanisms create a by-product that can be difficult to shake, and that by-product is shame. When that hits us, as most Highly Sensitive people know very well, it can stop us dead in our tracks. We are left feeling awful and having no clue what to do next.
Highly Sensitive Shame can be very sly and sneaky; hard to recognize while silently wreaking havoc on what you are wanting to create and accomplish in your work and life. But the HSE, in control of her reactions to her emotions, rarely defaults to blame, shame, disconnect or disassociation when her highly sensitive nervous system is over-stimulated, but instead intuitively turns to tools, teachings and accountability support to access a level of awareness that allows her to move through her nervous system overload with swift grace. Listen in to today’s episode to find out how to get to this place of gracefulness and self-compassion instead of shame and coping.
I wanted to give you an inside peek into something that happened this week that was a true miracle…
I spent two whole days facilitating a *virtual* experiential process with over 100 Highly Sensitive Leaders from around the globe in the Business Miracles Community stretching from Hawaii to Saudi Arabia, Thailand and down to Brazil and Australia. Some members got up at the crack of dawn, some stayed up through the night and for some it was already tomorrow.
I, honestly, wasn’t sure how it was going to go because (honestly, again) do we actually know how ANYTHING is going to go these days?
What transpired was truly miraculous. A-HAs, insights, tears – and, most important, deep transformation.
It was a deep demonstration of what is possible IN SPITE OF when you bring together the power of Highly Sensitives who know they are here to use their unique strengths to better the world.
It’s an understatement to say my heart was beyond full.
So, I wanted to share just some of the incredibleness with you. Here’s an inside peek into Day 1 of the Business Miracles Summer Virtual Training Retreat, all around the topic of “How to have our highly sensitive needs easily met while meeting the needs of others” so that we can be of greater service to the healing the world.
Listen in (less than 2 minutes) as I share about the impacts of relationship dynamics for those of us who are highly sensitive and give insight into what’s really keeping you stuck.
As highly sensitives we are being called to RISE UP to serve like never before and to lead differently as a result of these times we are graced to be experiencing – together. The time of Highly Sensitive Leadership has come.
If you know you’re meant to join us for our next training retreat in the fall, then please submit your application to be considered for this most important leadership training: www.highlysensitiveleadership.com
I’ve been asked a lot during these Exceptional Times of 2020 how I’m staying sane, remaining grounded, continuing to lead my community of fellow Highly Sensitive Leaders from around the world with grace and overall just keeping my sh*t together as I face some major personal life changes as result of these times as well.
Soooo … I thought it would be fun to share on the first Friday of each month what I’m reading, watching, listening to (and tools I’m using, too) to keep myself moving forward through these times. Here we go!
1. The Help, by Kathryn Stocket – This is a third time re-read for me, but one of my favorite books next to my all-time favorite, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. A pleasure read that is also a reminder why the 2020 Racial Justice Movement is beyond needed now and into the future.
3. Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age, by Sanjay Gupta – I believe I’m a little late to the game on the magnificence of this author, but I promptly developed a super crush when I started reading this book at the beginning of 2020. I fell off the wagon from this read during the first months of the pandemic, but I’m back at it and as fascinated as ever.
1. Red Oaks (Amazon Prime) – I often rely on my friend, Shira, for the best “TV” shows to be watching because she knows me so well and her recommendations always hit the mark. This show being a great example. 1980’s nostalgia. Brilliant acting. Enough said.
2. DARK (Netflix) – Because of my Sweetheart Husband I watch more sci-fi than I ever would without him (which would be none). I can’t get into everything sci-fi, but when the show is super smart and from Germany (I’m a lover of European television and even more so considering who knows when I’ll be able to travel there again), I’m in. And this show is such a psychological mindbender it’s valuable for the brain exercise alone. Season 3 just landed.
3. BlackAF (Netflix) – I’ve been a fan of Rashida Jones since her days on the television show, Parks and Recreation, and her continued talented performance is stunning along with the rest of this exceptional cast. Plus, another enlightening Racial Justice Movement perspective during these Exceptional Times.
1. Armchair Expert (Podcast) with Dax Shepard and Monica Padman – One of my former students from my Long Island high school teaching days (who is now a successful, professional comedian) turned me onto this podcast last year. It’s smart, witty and goes way beyond hosting Hollywood guests. They’ve also done a masterful job with keeping their current guests matched to our fast-changing times.
2. Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction (Podcast) – If there wasn’t enough of a reason already to love Sanjay Gupta, here it is. A voice of reason to cut through the lack of presidential leadership on everything COVID-19.
Once I completed those calls on May 18th, I promptly received the guidance to begin hosting Weekly Activations starting June 1st and so I did exactly that.
Leading these 30 minute calls each week has deepened my study of the psychological and spiritual curriculum of A Course In Miracles more than I could have anticipated. It’s been a balm to my soul during these Exceptional Times and this is the feedback I’ve received from participants as well. I invite you to join us. It’s free and you can join at any time as you will never be behind.
Hope you find something useful (or just plain fun) in these recommendations to support yourself with keeping it all moving forward during these Exceptional Times as a Highly Sensitive Leader. I’d love to hear what you’re reading, watching and listening to as well; I’m always open to being introduced to something new and will happily give you credit if it’s something I end up latching onto. Just comment below and let me know. 🙂
We will continue to transcend these times – together.
Welcome to the A Course In Business Miracles podcast! Today we have an HSE Feature, where we showcase a wonderful part of our HSE community. And this episode features interior designer and author Penny Bartlow.
Penny Bartlow is the founder of PKB Design, which provides professional interior design services around the New York area, serving everyone from individuals and families to state and federal government offices. Penny has also authored many published articles on interior design that are featured in leading magazines in her field, as well as a book titled “Lead From Within”, which helps people learn how to apply their integrity in both your personal and professional lives.
Since joining the HSE community, Penny has learned a lot about what has held her back in the past, and what drives her into her future. She now knows that the good and the bad don’t happen to her, they happen through her, and has learned that she could design her business to work for her and her spiritual life.
Listen in as I talk with HSE Interior Designer, Penny Bartlow to hear how after she joined the Business Miracles Mentoring Programs and learned she was highly sensitive she then also learned to use her strengths to have more balance in life and abundance in business including through these Exceptional Times.
EnergyRICH® Coaching, Inc. and A Course In Business Miracles® is an Enlightened Company. A percentage of every A Course In Business Miracles program and product purchased goes directly to supporting Women for Women International, empowering over 153,000 women survivors of war to move toward economic self-sufficiency and to Charity Water with a commitment to end the water crisis in our lifetime.